Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Recommendations of the Week: October 17th

Hello everybody! Lorl here, you may remember me from such things as: "Citadel? I thought this was a Mass Effect commentary!" and "Why did this dumb chick decide to be an engineer if she can't use a sniper rifle properly?" as well as my upcoming hit "I love the yaoi pairings in Kingdom Hearts, how dare she insult my love of SoraxRiku!?!" Haha, good times. Today I'll be debuting my first written piece for AppsPlus, enjoy! 




The Fifth Element (Not to be mistaken with ‘The Fourth Kind’)




If you’re a fan of cheesy sci-fi, Bruce Willis, and Milla Jovovich in sexy futuristic clothing then this is the movie for you! This is definitely my favorite science fiction movie to date, and it was made over 10 years ago. Unlike most of the modern space movies that rely heavily on CGI for their aliens, all of the creatures in this movie are either costumed actors or puppets. Personally, I find the Mangalores much more realistic than Jar Jar Binks. Don’t get me wrong though, this movie isn't praised for its realism. It never takes itself too seriously, and the humor is abundant. 

I'm often skeptical when it comes to romance in movies, because more often than not it's just tacked on for no particular reason. Even movies based on romance such as The Notebook seem really bland and shallow. I wonder why? Ahem, moving on. Even so, I didn't see the relationship between Corbin (Willis) and Leeloo (Jovovich) to be fake or forced in any way. I'd have to say that my only complaint is that I can never get enough of this movie! I wish they'd made it into a video game... Oh wait.




Because everyone knows the best games are based on movies. 



Imgur





Imgur is truly an amazing thing, and to think that I'd never even heard of it before reddit. To anyone who is currently using photobucket, or (gasp) facebook to upload all of their pictures, your life is about to improve. 

Now before I get started, know that imgur is meant for images only. If you want to upload a .gif you'll need to use something else. The whole point of this site is to let you upload your pictures quickly and painlessly. You'll even get several different links to your newly uploaded photo so that you can share it with anyone! 

Imgur is actually so simple that even my computer illiterate dad could learn to use it. You can upload photos 3 ways:

Directly from your computer.

By copy/pasting the direct image URL from something like google. 

Or by dragging the image directly from another tab or window. 

The third method is my favorite because the imgur page glosses over in grey to make sure you actually want to upload the image that you're dragging.



It's one of the simple pleasures in my life.


An account isn't required to upload pictures to imgur, but it's a good thing to have if you want to keep track of your images. They don't ask for any of your personal information other than your e-mail address, and I've never received spam from them. Also, should you want to keep some/all of your images, uh... Private. You can enable your privacy settings to make sure that nobody can see what you upload without a direct link. 

No comments:

Post a Comment